Ipe hardwood may not be the cheapest choice of decking material, but it is certainly one of the most durable. This is why wise homeowners and builders are willing to make the relatively higher initial investment on this type of wood—because they know that it will last 25 to 50 years. If you are interested in buying ipe hardwood to use for your outdoor deck, then you’ll be glad to know that there are ways to get the best value. Here are some tips on saving money when you buy ipe hardwood:
- Buy ipe from a supplier that sells direct to builders and customers. This eliminates the middle man and, therefore, saves you serious money.
- Order online. Some of the best suppliers offering affordable ipe hardwood for decking do not operate fancy showrooms—they sell on the internet. They spend much less on overhead costs and can pass the savings on to customers like you.
- Get multiple quotes. If you have the time and patience, then ask several ipe suppliers to compete for your business. Make it known to them that you are comparing prices—this might motivate them to give you their best quote.
- Ask your builder or contractor. People or companies who have been designing and building porches and decks probably have connections to an ipe supplier.
- Insist on quantity discounts if you are ordering in bulk. Suppliers are typically happy to give you deep discounts if you are ordering larger volume.
- Take into consideration the delivery fees. Be sure to factor in how much it will cost for you to have your order shipped or delivered to your home or construction site. You will usually benefit from ordering your ipe wood from a supplier that serves your area specifically. They may be able to use their flatbed trucks to deliver your orders, saving you money.