Used particularly for furniture, cedar lumber is an excellent type of wood to work with. It is known for its true and straight grain as well as its uniform texture. Easy to cut, cedar lumber can be turned into furniture with common tools like saw and nails. But make no mistake—even though this material is easy to work with, it is highly is durable and is resistant to splitting that is often caused by fasteners. Cedar lumber also naturally resists decaying. Lightweight, possessing incomparable dimensional stability, and easy to finish, cedar lumber can be used for foot lockers and chests. Low-density cedar lumber can offer superior insulation, too.
Cedar lumber has a Janka rating of 900 and is known for excellent shock resistance. Even without the use of preservative treatments, cedar lumber can naturally resist fungi. It can even repel insects such as termites. New cedar lumber possesses a neutral cream or light brown color that deepens into an even more gorgeous hue with age. There’s no need to waterproof, stain, or varnish it. Low maintenance cedar lumber is likewise ideal for outdoor furniture as well as for decking and patios, fences, and more.
You might also notice that cedar lumber is one of the most popular materials for creating saunas. Aside from its natural oil that can resist water naturally, cedar lumber emits a wonderful aroma. This type of wood can also be used for decks with hot tubs.
Another good thing about cedar lumber is that it comes from renewable resources and is considered an environment friendly choice. Just be sure that you are buying cedar wood that was harvested responsibly from managed forests in locations such as British Columbia. Aside from lumber, cedar is also sold as timbers, boards, beams, flooring, and shingles.
Source URL: http://www.abswood.com/blog/cedar-lumber-various-advantages-utilities/
Are you thinking of adding a deck to your home? Make sure to use hardwoods to ensure longevity and to protect your investment. You can choose from a wide range of eco-friendly hardwoods like Ipe, Garapa, Tigerwood, Jatoba, and more. Each type of hardwood has its specific characteristics, but they all offer these advantages:
- Affordable price – Some hardwoods seem to cost more on the onset, but if you think about it in the long run, they might actually come out cheaper. If you opt for composite or cheap wood, you might have to replace your deck after just a few years.
- Low maintenance – Hardwood is very easy to maintain. Some types of hardwood simply need a UV finisher so its color will not fade. Apart from that, you just need to sweep off or hose down dirt and your decking will look as new as the day it was made.
- No need for harmful chemicals – Bugs are no match for hardwood—they can’t bite into them.
- Moisture resistant – Even if your decking gets wet, you don’t have to worry about moisture or rotting when it is made of hardwood. Some hardwoods have extractives in their heartwood, which naturally ward off fungi.
- Aesthetically pleasing – You can choose from a wide range of graining and colors when you opt for hardwood. Some types of hardwood also look better when they are stained or painted. The possibilities for your decking can be endless.
- Boosts property value – If you are planning to sell your home, a quick way to get more buyers is to add a deck that extends your living and entertainment area. The use of high-quality materials such as hardwood can be an excellent selling point for your house. You might be able to get a higher price.
Source URL: http://www.abswood.com/blog/many-advantages-hardwood-decking/
Ipe is a type of Brazilian hardwood that is used for a wide range of applications, including decking. It has incredible resistance to the elements, making it ideal for outdoor use. The environmentally-friendly ipe does not need toxic chemicals to prevent rotting, decaying, molding, and insects. It can also easily retain its color with just a UV blocker finisher.
When it comes to the installation of ipe wood for your decking, it’s best to contact a contractor. You can do the installation yourself, but it will take you a lot of time. What’s more, a DIY project can be more costly when you make expensive mistakes or need to buy tools that aren’t in your tool box. Consider the risks of getting an injury when doing DIY projects too. Calling in the professionals is more practical and safer. Don’t worry—you still have full control over the project. The best deck builders will make sure that you are involved every step of the way.
When you order ipe wood decking, you will receive two types of wood: the support and the surface. To keep everything together, you will need to purchase stainless steel. Once construction is complete, you can let your ipe decking bathe in the sun for a couple of days until you get its wanted color. After that, you can finish it off with UV protection finisher.
When it comes to maintenance, ipe decking only needs touch ups of UV protection finishers. There’s no need to sand it out. If your ipe decking gets a little bit of gray color due to sun exposure, you can restore it by using brightener cleaner. For regular cleaning, you can simply wash it with water or opt for pressure washing depending on condition of your deck. If you are a little apprehensive of doing it on your own, you can request for professional ipe deck cleaning.
Source URL: http://www.abswood.com/blog/installation-maintenance-ipe-decking/